Conducted in October 2005. Ninety-six members were contacted via email. Sixty eight (68%) of the MEIEA Active member population participated.
* The yearly conference, networking opportunities, and the journal were chosen as MEIEA’s top three assets.
* Almost ninety percent of the members indicated they would participate in on-line nominations and voting for officers of the Association.
* Almost seventy percent of the members indicated they would support an increase in membership fees if it would ensure that the Association could pursue the initiatives listed in the survey.
* The “Branding” initiative was ranked number one by order of importance. “Publish Curriculum Standards or Recommendations" and “Increase Professional Practitioner Members” were ranked a close second and third respectively.
In response to the survey results, the Board voted to take three immediate actions.
(1) Nominations and the eVote process will start in January for the coming spring elections.
(2) Membership fees for the coming year will increase slightly.
(3) The Board formed four “task groups” that were assigned to develop plans for (a) branding; (b) investigating curriculum practices; (c) to develop guidelines for providing research stipends; and (d) to find ways to increase the value of membership in the Association..
Members gave over-all performance an “adequate” rating of 3.16 (5-point scale) for achieving the five goals of MEIEA: (a) providing resources for the exchange of information and knowledge; (b) fostering scholarly research; (c) assisting institutions with development of programs and curricula; (d) facilitating interaction between the music and entertainment industries, educators, and institutions; and (e) promoting student interests. The area that members indicated they felt MEIEA was below average was assisting institutions with development of programs and curricula, which received a 2.73 rating. The membership gave the highest rating to MEIEA’s success at promoting student interests (3.71). Yes, MEISA is now almost 600 strong and growing! It is by far the preeminent student organization for the music and entertainment industry.
For more detail, to view graphs, data analyses, and raw data, click on the links below:
MEIEA email Memo
Strategic Initiatives Analysis
Strategic Initiatives Graphs
MEIEA Goals Analysis
Composite Analysis Explanation
Survey Raw Data (Members' Responses)
Survey Raw Data (Board Responses)